If you are reading this How-To you were sent here by one of our support staff. To resolve the issue you are experiencing we need to gather some advanced troubleshooting data so that we can pinpoint the cause or point of failure. Please follow the steps below so that we can gather this advanced data and more efficiently resolve the issue you are experiencing.
Note: If you were not directed here by our support staff it may not be necessary to run this process to resolve your issue. Please only do these steps at the direction of our support staff.
Note: This process will install a Proxy application onto your system. A Proxy is used to monitor communication across certain internet protocols. The application we are suggesting (Charles) runs a proxy only when the application is open and recording is started. Once the program is closed the proxy is removed. To protect your privacy we suggest closing ALL open programs, especially any programs that connect to the internet (Mail, iChat, web browsers, internet radio, etc). Your swackett user information is securely encrypted, so this process does not reveal any of your personal information to swackett staff. The same cannot be said about other programs which is why we suggest you close ALL open programs before starting step #4.
Gathering Advanced Weather Data
1) Download Charles web debugging proxy from http://www.charlesproxy.com/download/latest-release/download.do. You want to download the Mac OSX free trial.
2) Go to the location you downloaded Charles to and double-click on the zip file (charles-proxy-3_6_3.zip).
3) Completely close all open applications, including Mail, iChat, all web browsers, and anything else that may access your network connection. This is done so that there will only be swackett data shown and to protect your privacy as noted above.
4) Double click on the Charles app to open it.
5) Click the Open button if it warns you that Charles is an application downloaded from the Internet
6) Charles will open in a few seconds. You will then see this configuration message:
Click on the Grant Privileges button. You may need to type in your OS X administrator password.
If you have Mozilla Firefox installed on your system you will see the following configuration message:
Click on Cancel on this message, as it is not necessary to install the Firefox Add-on for this troubleshooting.
The main Charles window will be open behind the above messages and should already be recording.
7) Open up swackett (or swackett X). In the Charles window you should see several entries appear.
8) Once swackett has completely opened, you can click on the Stop Recording button
9) Click on the Save button and save the session to a place you can retrieve it from later. Also, name the file something you will remember.
10) Once your session is saved, you can Quit Charles.
11) Attach the file you just created (it will be something.chls where something is the name you supplied in the previous step) to your support request
You can also email the file to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your incident # and name or information about the issue you are experiencing.
Once we acknowledge that we have received and are processing your file you can remove Charles from your system if you would like.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com